Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and an Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states the following: Islamically speaking, if a Muslim man married a Muslim woman and she converted to another religion, their marriage is null and void and vice versa. But for legal purposes, they must document this. Therefore, I advise such couple to get a court divorce. They should also write formal Islamic divorce through the proper Islamic channels in the city or country they are residing.