As for how a Muslim should perform ghusl in a proper way, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty explains it as thus:
“The proper method of ghusl (ritual bath) involves the following steps:
1. Making the niyyah (intention) to perform ghusl for purification.
2. Washing of private parts thoroughly with water.
3. Performing wudu’ (ablution) except for washing of the feet, which could be done later while bathing the body.
4. Washing of the entire body, starting with the head and the right side, followed by the left.
5. It is preferred that the whole body be washed three times. The minimum is once.
having completed the above, one is considered eligible to perform the salah (prayer).”